Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Musical in London

My first musical theatre experience was at Queen’s Theatre, London watching the Les Miserables, the longest running musical in history based on the 1862 novel by Victor Hugo. The show combining music, songs, spoken dialogue and dance was simply amazing.


One show is never enough. When I was on my second business trip to London, my colleague and I decided to watch The Phantom of the Opera after work. The Phantom of the Opera is a musical based on the French novel. The major character Phantom is a genius composer, musician and magician who hides behind a white mask and is known as the Opera Ghost.



The Phantom of the Opera opened at Her majesty’s Theatre in 1986, and lucky me, in its 21st year, I had the opportunity to watch the London’s greatest love story live in the same theatre. I am yet to watch the film nor read the novel, may be I should.


2008 summer, I was at London with Big Dar. We were looking for something sweet, light and easy. Of course The Sound of Music playing at London Palladium Theatre became of our choice.


Our seating location was at Royal section, row H, seats 32-31 with total charge approximately RM 400. We sang along many songs - The Sound of Music, My Favorite Things, Do-Re-Mi, Sixteen Going on Seventeen, So Long, Farewell, Edelweiss… that reminded us about our childhood and wonderful time together. This is the best musical theatre experience ever!




By defination, Broadway Theatre represent the highest level of commercial theatre in the English-speaking world. Next on my list are :

1. Mamma Mia
2. Cats
3. Miss Saigon
4. Marry Poppins / The Lion King
5. Sister Act / The King and I / Evita

No comments:

Post a Comment