Thursday, September 24, 2009

Lisbon, Portugal

Lisbon is the capital of Portugal, also the Europe's westernmost capital. I was there November 2009, it was sunny autunm with mild temperatures.

My business administrator booked me the TAP, national airlines of Portugal for 2 hours and 40 minutes flight from London Heathrow Airport to Lisbon. I was on my office wear as taxi driver picked me up straight from my workplace.



As usual, did the weekend sight seeing and the very first thing that caught my attention was the amazing view of seagulls flying near the coastal of Rio Tejo or Tagus River in English. Rio Tejo is longest river on the Iberian Peninsula, border between Portugal and Spain.



Praca do Comercio, the commerce square is just near to the Rio Tejo.



Lost in the winding street of Lisbon's transitional quarters (downtown) before came to this look out point.



Infinity ocean, blue sky, nice view... and i think i look great with the RM10 sunglasses!It's from Petaling Street and followed me all the way to Portugal.

Visited Castillo de San Jorge.


and Padrao dos Descobrimentos, the monument that celebrates the great Portuguese looking out over the river, departed to their unknown destination. If you remember, Portuguese reached Melaka in the 1511...



I was standing in front of a red bridge that looks like the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge! This is Ponte 25 de Abril, connecting Lisbon and Almada on the left bank of the Tagus river. Emm... Tagus River, i still perfer the Portuguese word - Rio Tejo.


If you are going to Lisbon, do not miss the Torre de Belem. It is one of the UNESCO World Herritage building built in the early sixteenth century.

Where should i go next? reading the Lisbon city map while waiting for my bus.

Is time to have some food. Portuguese style egg tarts is definitely a good choice! It's a traditional Portuguese custard pastry. According to wikipedia: " It was created more than 200 years ago by Catholic Sisters at Jerónimos Monastery at Belém in Lisbon. Casa Pastéis de Belém was the first pastry shop outside of the convent to sell this pastry in 1837"
I'm not sure how true (or not true) the story is, but what i can confirm is the Portuguese style egg tarts sell in my hotel, Lisbon Marriott Hotel are mouth watering!!!

After the tarts, i saw this note inside the hotel lift when i was on my way back to the room.
USA Election Night and i was at Lisbon! Barack Obama won and became the 44th president of the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment